Trojan horse virus, also called trojan, may be defined as malware that appears to be legitimate or appropriate software and used by attackers to compromise the system’s security. There are several things that a trojan can do, and one of its important features is, it remains in the user’s system secretly and does not let them find it.
- Until the time it is residing in the system, it can get the entire system’s access to the malicious user or the hacker, and they will be able to do everything that a legitimate user can do. Reading the critical files, sending them to other systems, accessing the confidential data, and so on are the few breaches that one can do after installing the trojan horse virus in the organization or enterprise system.
- Trojan horse viruses can also be considered as the kind of malicious software that can perform various activities in the system of legitimate users that can harm them in any way. Some Trojans are designed to steal bank details; some are designed to work with download and install other malicious software, while some are developed to install adware and so on.
- To launch the Trojan attack, the users are tricked through social engineering to install the trojan virus, and once it has been installed, it will create a backdoor for the hacker to access the system repeatedly. The system administrators are supposed to run the check very frequently to detect any system infected by the Trojan attack.
How does Trojan Horse Virus Work?
- The trojan horse viruses are usually responsible for letting the hacker access the target system to harm it take leverage of it either way. The type of virus can perform lots of unethical tasks that directly lead to security breaches. To understand how it works, we will consider an example of how it creates a backdoor for the hacker.
- It all begins with having the legitimate user tricked to install trojan into their system. Once the user is tricked and the virus has been downloaded into their system, it starts working. If the trojan is a backdoor trojan virus, it will lead to gain access to the user system to the attacker.
- The attacker will be able to make changes in any file, download and send any confidential data, will be able to delete the files, and can perform all of the actions that the legitimate user can do. The hacker might be able to access the terminal or the command prompt based on the affected system’s operating system. The virus will work as long as it resides in the user’s system. Once the admin detects it, it can be removed to stop the hacker from leveraging it.
Types of Trojan Horse Virus
Depending upon the purpose, the trojan virus is divided into several types.
Below are a few of the common types of trojan horse virus:
- Backdoor trojan virus – The backdoor trojan virus is the malware that let hackers access the legitimate users’ system without their knowledge. Once the user is tricked into installing the trojan in their system, the hacker can perform all the user activities. The hacker can read the data, delete the files and forward the confidential documents by leveraging the backdoor trojan.
- Rootkit trojan virus – The rootkit trojan virus is another kind of malware that conceals various system activities to protect the malware from getting detected. The main purpose behind the development of the rootkit trojan is to get the malware some additional life in the system of the legitimate user so that the hacker and leverage the malware for a long.
- Trojan-downloader – The trojan-downloader may be defined as a special kind of trojan virus that automatically downloads various kinds of trojans and adware. It also upgrades the already available malware in the system. It helps the attacker to get everything in the affected system that they can take benefit.
- Trojan-banker – The trojan-banker may be defined as another kind of trojan horse virus that can steal the user’s bank details who used to access their bank account from the impacted system. The data related to bank like bank account number, CVV number, debit card details, credit card details, and so on are the lucrative data that the trojan-banker virus.
Hackers use the trojan horse virus to compromise the security of the system. It could be prevented by installing anti-malware applications in the system. There are lots of free and paid anti-malware software available in the market that protects the system from being impacted by the trojan or any other malware. It is essential to keep the system up to date so that the hacker cannot break the system to install the trojan through the existing vulnerabilities. Also, the anti-malware software’s paid version comes with a bundle of benefits that the free version lacks. So it is always preferred to go with the paid version as it ensures the security of the system or the organizations.